Crowds attend Family Day at the Calgary Stampede on July 9.Jeff McIntosh / The Canadian Press
A Liberal MP from Alberta is demanding that Ottawa stop funding the Calgary Stampede after the organization reached a settlement agreement linked to allegations that its officials failed for decades to protect boys in one of its youth programs from a sexual predator.
A lawsuit by the group, launched in 2017, alleged that senior officials with the Calgary Stampede did not act on multiple reports that Philip Heerema, an adult who works with young Canadians, the glittering song and dance group that presides over the festival’s Grandstand Show every evening, had inappropriate relationships with troupe members. Stampede has agreed to accept “liability for liability” and pay 100 percent of damages awarded or assessed, under the proposed agreement announced Wednesday in court.
George Chahal, a deputy from Calgary and former city councilman, in a Thursday statement to The Globe and Mail condemned the Stampede’s “years of inaction” and argued that the proposed deal is a testament to how far the non-profit was willing to go to sweep “horrific crimes under the carpet”. He vowed to lobby his colleagues in the federal government to stop supporting the annual 10-day festival, putting at risk infrastructure grants worth millions of dollars and wage subsidies that benefit Albertans.
“No taxpayer dollars should support an organization that has shown such blatant disregard for the well-being of our youth,” Chahal said in a statement. “Federal funding should only be reconsidered when the victims themselves feel that real responsibility and reconciliation has taken place.”
Ottapora recently earmarked $ 4.5 million to help Stampede build the $ 44 million Sam Center, which is under construction. The federal government, through the Department of Canadian Heritage, raised $ 1.6 million to support the project in 2022 and $ 715,800 last year, according to Stampede’s 2022 financial statements. Ottapora gave Stampede $ 24,647 through Canada’s Summer Jobs program to subsidize youth wages in 2022, compared with $ 15,666 last year. The federal government also gave Stampede $ 247,228 in 2021, through Canada’s emergency Wage Subsidy Program.
The Calgary Stampede is one of the most important events in Canada’s political calendar. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, like his predecessors, has been a key supporter despite his government having only two seats in Alberta. Chahal’s call to cut Stampede funding could fuel accusations that the federal Liberals don’t have time for Alberta. Chahal, who remains a backbench MP after this week’s cabinet reshuffle, has come forward as a champion for victims of sexual assault.
“For decades, members of young Canadians entrusted Calgary Stampede with their dreams, their skills and most importantly, their safety,” he said. “What they got in return was a systematic betrayal.”
Jason Coxford, a spokesman for Stampede, said it would not be “appropriate” for his organisation to comment on Mr Johnson’s proposal.Chahal or to detail its possible consequences.
Gavin Price, a lawyer representing the plaintiffs, said Mr.Chahal did not consult him or his clients before calling for the fund freeze. “The class would welcome attention to the issue, and they would welcome momentum toward a settlement of damages,” Price said.
Stampede’s lawyers and the plaintiffs announced their proposed settlement Wednesday. It must be approved by a judge, and the parties still have to negotiate the financial terms of the agreement.
Z. Heerema was sentenced to 10 years in prison in 2018 for exploitative sexual acts linked to six members of young Canadians. He was convicted of incidents that occurred between 1992 and 2014.
The group’s lawsuit, however, alleged that a young Canadian, in 1988, told the show’s top Grandstand executive that Mr. Heerema abused him. The court documents also claim that an instructor with young Canadians, in 2008, filed a formal complaint with Mr.Heerema, indicating that he was “extremely inappropriate” with the boys. Stampede’s omission in light of such information, the lawsuit said, allowed Mr.Heerema abused boys for decades.
Court documents show that his abusive behavior affected more young people than previously known. The charges have not been tested in court.
Calgary and Stampede Ltd. exhibition. And the Calgary Stampede Foundation, in court documents filed through June, denied wrongdoing and argued that they were not responsible for Mr.Heerema. Z. Stampede’s Coxford did not say why the organization changed tactics.
“With this settlement agreement, Calgary Stampede has assumed responsibility in hopes of helping the victims recover,” he said in a statement. “We cannot change the events of the past, but we are very sorry for the way the victims have been affected.”
#Liberal #calls #Ottawa #funding #Calgary #Stampede #handling #sexual #assault